Two years ago, when I was a freshly minted PhD on the academic job market, I never would have thought we’d be putting down roots in our hometown. I saw it, instead, as a temporary place to regroup following graduation. But I landed a great non-academic job in the non-profit sector and found I could teach some history classes at local universities and continue to write and research in my down time (and, I’ll admit, I’m a bit of a sell-out in that I LOVED the steady, stable (and high) pay cheques I was getting after 6 years of living like a quasi-hobo in Connecticut on a grad student stipend) and Edmonton started to seem more and more like a good place to settle in.
Anyways, we’ve bounced between a few apartments in the past two years and then fell in love with our townhouse style condo (and if my dream academic job does ever come around we can always sell it and relocate). And, after a couple of weeks of moving hell, we’re pretty much all settled in. Here it is!
Our delightfully cool basement/movie watching room
A favourite print
The entrance to our second floor, open concept kitchen and formal living room
Finally, a dedicated wall for all the diplomas! I have 5 - a BA, two MAs, and MPhil, and the PhD
Excuse the dishes drying in the sink and the shameful looking cat in the corner
Again, ignore the lounging cat
Formal living room
Books, books, and more books
I like to pretend I work at a fancy antique store with this table, and I can slide open the display case to show people my trinkets
Upstairs doors to the laundry room
Landing at the top of the stairs
The most perfect ensuite bathroom ever!
- Ugh. Sometimes people are really gross. Like these academics defending pedophilia.
- The situation unfolding at Jezebel is really interesting…and touches on the still contentious intersection of feminism and race.
- I feel like a good 2% of my day is now spent marvelling at the selection of cracked out shoes on ModCloth. Like these gems.
- So a bunch of people actually thought Steven Spielberg killed a dinosaur. And they got angry about it. People are pretty dumb.
- The US draft is back…sort of.
- Looking for a summer read? May I suggest some books about sparkly things?