Friday, February 28, 2014

All the Frills: Abelard and Heloise

Continuing on from last week, where I profiled a few of my favourite books, this week I’m featuring an older edition of the Letters of Abelard and Heloise and a reproduction of the illuminated Master of Mary of Burgundy that I picked up many years ago while hunting for used book treasures in NYC. I can’t remember exactly where or when I came across the edition of the letters of Abelard and Heloise but it’s a favourite of mine. Most people know the twelfth century couple through re-tellings of their ill-fated love affair (which encompassed such engrossing episodes as Abelard’s castration) but I have always been more interested in the figure of Heloise and her fierce intellectualism. To me the part of the love story between Abelard and Heloise that fascinates is not the actual romantic events that the two shared but their long-enduring intellectual exchange. As for the reproduction of the Book of Hours of Mary of Burgundy, the original of which was made in about 1477 and is held at the Getty, what can I say other than that I’m a sucker for a good reproduction of an illuminated manuscript?


And here’s a little link love:


7 comments:

Closet Fashionista said...

Those books are so cool, I really should read more...but I'm just so lazy, ha ha.
And wow, she was 110! What an amazing story.
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

LyddieGal said...

People always think I'm weird when I tell them I don't care for romance movies, but really, with the crap they are churning out these days, who possibly could?

I'm looking forward to your movie. Now that, I would go see.

welldressedmaker said...

Oh man. Total book envy here, Courtney. You have some amazing pieces! I really toted dig that reproduction!

Jessica said...

Those books are beautiful. I am really loving your blog's new look.

Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

Nnenna said...

This is such a beautiful book- what an amazing find!

Cee said...

What a gorgeous collection of old books you have - I'm practically swooning. And your friend Jennifer's statement about feminism made me laugh out loud. How true.
xox,
Cee

pukimatok said...

I love books in old editions! They're magical <3