Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hever and Hatfield - My Tour of Historic Houses Continues

Here are few photos from two very historic houses that I visited during my last weeks in England. First up was Hever Castle, the childhood home of Anne Boleyn (as you are constantly reminded at every single point of interest in the house). I had a fabulous time here – the grounds and gardens were breathtaking and the house itself (which was meticulously restored to its sixteenth century grandeur in the early twentieth century by America’s wealthy Astor family) had an amazing collection of early modern furnishing, decorative items, etc. Next I visited Hatfield House, the childhood home of my other history hero, Elizabeth I. I’ve toured Hatfield before (it’s sort of like a pilgrimage for me) and it was almost exactly as I remembered it. The house itself is Jacobean (all that remains of the Tudor Old Palace are some stables and a great hall) but it is lavishly gorgeous and home to many famous portraits of Elizabeth I and her successor James I and his wife, Anna of Denmark (who, incidentally, was the subject of my MA dissertation). So it was a grand couple of days!



















In other news I recently read a little feature in Vanity Fair about a new swimwear company called Pret-a-Surf and I am totally crushing on their sweet designs and feminist design sensibility (although I don’t really understand why a company that designs for athletically built surfers doesn’t use those frames in its ad campaign).

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Hatfield Old Palace is great.

**

Collette Osuna said...

OMG..these photos are unbelievable..I love old homes/buildings too..awesome!! and you look SUPER cute too!!

AGNES STYLE said...

Do you really think so? I mean if it's really interesting?=) Then if you think it would be, I would be happy if you could remind me of doing a review!=)

www.agnesstyle.blogspot.com

AGNES STYLE said...

Thanks! Then a review will come up in a few days=)

www.agnesstyle.blogspot.com

the desert foxx said...

Wow I'd like to go there...! So beautiful

x

Caroline Ergy Erg said...

The second photo is lovely :) that house looks incredible too, i want a visit! xxx

Sarah said...

ahh I'm so jealous of all of these beautiful places. It looks amazing!

http://wearingitonmysleeves.blogspot.com

o said...

Wow, more gorgeous mansions! I'm so envious of ur adventures hehe:) The detail of that garden sculpture is amazing! Thanks for sharing ur pics, Courtney!

TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I love that adorable bow too! Chic!

Beckerman Girls said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THESE PICS! Those sculptures are gorrrrgeous!I love how detailed they are and the garden is breathtaking! You look fabbbbbulous too! I dont' want summer to end!! Wahhhhhhhhh
xoThe Beckerman Girls

http://BeckermanBitePlate.com

Leia said...

It's breathtakingly beautiful!

Leia

stylenuggets said...

I do envy you visiting these places but the advantage is we get to see these pictures!!

d said...

amazing blog i love these shots! ill follow
return the favor? and join my giveaway!

ching said...

what awesome pictures and your my dear is lovely in it. :)

thyaudaciousness.blogspot.com/

FASHIONISMYWAY by Cristina L said...

I would like to visit this place me too :DD Seems beautiful and interesting!!

Unknown said...

Those grounds are gorgeous, and the detail on the statues is unbelievable! You are looking lovely as usual. Now, I have to say, that last photo is a really cute suit, but a sick-looking girl. What's up with that? That looks positively ill, ack, no wonder these poor teenage girls get eating disorders! Have a lovely weekend, my dear! XX!

The Clothes Maiden said...

Hever Castle looks so magical! :)